5. January 2015 15:17
When you plan to rent your property, one of the most important decisions that you may have to make as a landlord is to choose the right tenant. Making a mistake here could mean the difference between getting the rent on time and your property being well managed or not. Given here are some important guidelines that can help you choose the best tenants for your property:
- Follow the Fair Housing Act (FHA): The first and foremost way to choose tenants fairly is by following the Fair Housing Act (FHA). It is a way to ensure that the landlords do not reject someone’s rental application on the grounds of religion, race or other such reasons.
- Check References: When you begin your search for tenants, make it a point to ask for references from each applicant. Also, you should verify those references either by calling or visiting them. This will give you an idea about the potential tenant and help you take a wise decision.
- Perform A Background Check: You would definitely want a tenant with a good credit rating who pays the rent on time. To verify the tenant’s ability to pay the rent, do not hesitate to perform a credit check. Ask them to submit proof of their present income and previous paid rent slips. Besides, also make sure you screen the applicants for any criminal charges in the past. These can be either major or minor, but it can help you have a better judgment of what kind of person you are letting your house.
- Verify Rental History & References: Contact the previous landlords and property managers to inquire if the applicant was a good tenant or not. This will help you know if they paid the rent wisely, kept the property maintained, abided by the lease terms or not.
- Use An Application Form: You should use a standard application form for the potential tenant to provide his personal details. These forms are easily available online and request all the necessary information that is required for the landlord to make a decision.
We, at Cloud Real Estate, can help you find the long term tenants for your property in Killeen, TX. Our systematic screening procedure makes sure that you end up renting your property to the right tenants. For more information, you can call us at (254) 690 – 3311 or visit our office at 1703 South W.S. Young Drive, Killeen, Texas 76543.